WHAT IS COSMETIC TATTOOING?
Cosmetic tattooing, also referred to as semi-permanent makeup or micropigmentation, is the process of implanting colour pigment beneath the surface of the skin by means of tiny, sterile, disposable needles to produce the appearance of hair strokes, or makeup, or to enhance the natural features of the face.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MICROBLADING AND NANO MICROPIGMENTATION?
Microblading is performed with a hand manual tool and a small blade consisting of tiny microneedles. A pigment is absorbed into the bladed incisions creating strokes to mimic brow hair. Nano brow is done with a permanent makeup machine and a needle cartridge similar to a tattoo. The needle is dipped into the pigment and the vibration pulls the pigment into the cartridge, then dispenses it gradually down the needle and penetrates into the skin.
Nano brow can last up to 5 years, whereas microblading consists of a superficial enhancement and lasts for 1 to 3 years.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COSMETIC TATTOOING AND STANDARD BODY TATTOOING?
Cosmetic tattooing is meant to enhance the natural features of a client. Body tattoos use ink while cosmetic tattoo procedures involve nickel and iron-free pigments. These pigments are designed to gently fade over time. Fading is desired, as it allows the artist to make changes to colour and shape over the years, as a client’s natural colouration and changes in facial features occur.
IS COSMETIC TATTOOING PAINFUL?
A highly effective, topical anesthetic cream and gel are used for numbing before and during your procedure. Pain threshold levels may vary from a person to another and every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the complete procedure. Also semi-permanent makeup procedures such as lips or eyeliner tend to be more painful, as they affect the most sensitive areas of the face.
Having this procedure performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort. If you are a frequent smoker, the effects of the topical anesthetics used for the procedure will be reduced. If you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, be aware that this may also affect your tolerance to pain.
HOW OLD SHOULD I BE TO GET A COSMETIC TATTOO?
You have to be at least 18 years old to receive a cosmetic tattoo service at Chloé Simioni, or be accompanied by a legal guardian.
CAN I GET A COSMETIC TATTOO IF I AM NURSING OR PREGNANT?
No, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
WHO IS NOT A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR COSMETIC TATTOOING?
If you have any of the listed contraindications or conditions on this form, you are NOT a good candidate for a micro pigmentation procedure.
- If you have an extremely oily skin, microblading will NOT work well for you. The constant production of oil will cause the hair strokes to heal with a diffused, softer look. Your end result will look more powdered than you would expect. If it is the case for you, you might want a shading or a combination of shading and microblading.
- If you have little to no existing hair, your tattoo will have a two-dimensional effect, rather than a natural look.
- If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment may fade sooner.
- If you are iron deficient or anemic, your pigment may fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
CAN I GET PERMANENT MAKEUP IF I HAVE INJECTABLE AND OR FILLERS?
Yes, of course, but we recommend getting permanent makeup first, or ask your medical specialist for clearance.
HOW LONG DOES COSMETIC TATTOOING LAST?
Cosmetic tattoo treatments are considered semi-permanent and will not wash off. However, they will fade over time. These procedures are a two-step process requiring a touch up every 6 to 8 weeks following the initial treatment.
At your touch up appointment, we will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment and make any necessary changes. As your brows will fade overtime, they will need to be refreshed every 1–2 years, in order to keep the vibrancy and definition.
The frequency of sessions depends on a number of factors including: the pigment colour used (lighter colours fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure), and if any chemical peels come into contact with treated areas. Please note that final results CAN’T be guaranteed, as each client’s unique skin type will hold pigments differently and will break down at different rates (skin retention). Multiple sessions are normal for cosmetic tattoo procedures, with each new procedure requiring a minimum of 2 visits.
- For microblading: results last 9 to 12 months.
- For nano and combo brows: results last 1 to 3 years
- For lash enhancement: results last 1 to 3 years
- Lip pigmentation: results last 1 to 3 years
HOW MANY SESSIONS ARE NEEDED?
For each new procedure, a minimum of 2 treatments are usually needed at least 8 weeks apart.
- The initial appointment includes a consultation and an initial application. Following the procedure, results immediately appear darker due to the fact that pigments are still wet and remain in outermost epidermal layers. The colour will fade and soften few days within the healing process. In most cases, the colour looks dramatically lighter after the first week. Many clients lose up to 50% of the initial implanted colour.
- The second appointment usually takes place 8 weeks after the initial procedure and serves to refine and fine-tune colour. We will assess the colour retention and make the necessary adjustments. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. If your cosmetic tattoo does not properly heal after the first session, do not worry. We can always go darker and add more density during your next appointment
- An additional session might be needed if your skin retention requires it. Additional sessions will be charged according to our current pricing.
- An annual refresher is recommended to keep the vibrancy and definition of the treated area.
HOW LONG DOES EACH PROCEDURE TAKE?
Please click on the procedure you’re interested in: All treatments touch ups take about the same time.
HOW TO PREP MYSELF FOR MY EYEBROW PROCEDURE?
If you have an ideal shape and colour in mind, bring a few reference photos with you. You may want to fill in your eyebrows as you would normally do, so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 3 days before your appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, we can remove them.
If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure, or have your doctor referral. If you show up for your appointment with a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from a sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.
HOW WILL I LOOK IMMEDIATELY AFTER?
Following the procedure, some swelling may occur and the results will appear darker and brighter. Your semi-permanent makeup will appear darker and more intense than expected for the first few days. This will gradually lighten during the complete healing process.
WHAT IS THE HEALING PROCESS?
Many clients lose up to 60% of the initial implanted colour. Please view our detailed aftercare instructions here according to your treatment.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
Please refer to the detailed Aftercare Instructions Section according to your treatment. It is highly beneficial to follow these instructions to ensure a comfortable healing process and to achieve the best results.
HOW WILL MY COSMETIC TATTOO LOOK IN THE FUTURE?
During your appointment, we will analyze your skin’s undertone to anticipate how pigment colours will fade in the future. We will also mix pigments to ensure colour blends well with your existing eyebrow and hair colour. The majority of our clients’ cosmetic tattoos stay true to colour and lighten naturally over time.
However, there are some cases where colours may fade to different tones according to the individual’s response to the pigments (like lifestyle and iron deficiencies). Many factors affect these changes. At your next appointment, we will re-analyze how your body has responded to the initial colour. Special formula alteration to correct the colour and to prevent further colour change is made at this time. For instance, your eyebrow tattoo will eventually look softer and have more of a “powdered” look. This happens with all clients as the skin ages.
To keep your cosmetic tattoo looking good, a refresher appointment is suggested every 1 to 2 years depending of procedure. Results vary with each client.
WHAT FACTORS WILL AFFECT MY COSMETIC TATTOO?
- Sun exposure: The sun will extremely soften the look of your tattoo, so sunblock should be used (once healed) to prolong your enhancement.
- The regeneration of skin cells: The longer the regeneration takes, the longer the pigment holds.
- The speed at which the skin absorbs the pigment: The slower the absorption, the longer the pigment will hold.
- The choice of colour: Some colours fade quicker than others, e.g. a blonde colour will fade quicker than a dark brown colour.
- The area of treatment: Enhancements to the face, for example lips or eyeliner enhancement, fade more quickly due to constant exposure.
- Bleeding during the procedure: Any bleeding during the tattooing procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption.
- Alcohol and certain medications act as blood thinners and should not be taken prior to and following your appointment.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT LONG-TERM CARE?
A good sunscreen should be applied daily AFTER healing and is required to help keep colour true. As with any tattoo, sun exposure will make the colour soften faster.
Fading speed depends on your skin type, lifestyle, sun exposure, pigment colour used, broken capillaries, and if any chemical peels were done after your procedure.
If you are planning a chemical peel, laser treatment or other medical procedure, please inform the technician that you have had a cosmetic tattoo. Careful application must be taken to avoid affecting the tattooed area.
IS THE STUDIO AND EQUIPMENT SAFE?
Yes, safety always comes first. We only use single use, disposable needles and supplies. Each of our stations are thoroughly disinfected before opening and after each procedure throughout the day.
WHAT METHODS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We accept cash, credit or debit payments.